The Lost Diadem
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Book Club!

Go down 
+4
SandRune94
blueagle
Froggie
Sunriver60
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Floo

Floo

Book Club! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Book Club!   Book Club! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2012 12:37 am

I like the idea of a poll- but I honestly don't think I'll read anything 'serious'. I have too much homework and I value any time I have to read something enjoyable. So mostly I lean toward YA or stuff I can finish in a very short time (like, a day). I've read several of the books mentioned. When I worked at the public library I read and was in charge of ordering the YA section which was of course a fun job. Stargirl was ok. The sequel was pretty good, too. Of course I loved the Hunger Games but I devoured them and read them last summer. I am actually listening to Game of Thrones on audiobook. Smile It makes the drive to and from NC pretty enjoyable. I couldn't really get into the tempo of Girl with a Dragon Tattoo, but I blame the translation. I'm sure it's great in the intended language.

Maybe we should stick with something classic first. For example, I just reread Beauty and the Beast last week. It's pretty short, honestly and might get us thinking. Something old we can always dray social constructs from the writing. Smile But that is just a suggestion. I'm a sucker for the classics.

But I'll read whatever everyone else wants to read. Right now I'm reading an Ann Rule, so I've been reading about a lot of serial killers. Haha.
Back to top Go down
blueagle

blueagle

PostSubject: Re: Book Club!   Book Club! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 12:34 am

let's do dr. jekyll and mr hyde.. or lois lowry's books? the giver, gathering blue and the messenger..
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/vjustinc
Froggie
Admin
Froggie

PostSubject: Re: Book Club!   Book Club! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 7:19 pm

We should read, "And one last thing..." By Molly Harper. I love her and her books are easy and fun reads. They actually make me giggle outloud

Book Club! - Page 2 And_one_last_thing

"If Singletree’s only florist didn’t deliver her posies half-drunk, I might still be married to that floor-licking, scum-sucking, receptionist-nailing hack-accountant, Mike Terwilliger."
Lacey Terwilliger’s shock and humiliation over her husband’s philandering prompt her to add some bonus material to Mike’s company newsletter: stunning Technicolor descriptions of the special brand of "administrative support" his receptionist gives him. The detailed mass e-mail to Mike’s family, friends, and clients blows up in her face, and before one can say "instant urban legend," Lacey has become the pariah of her small Kentucky town, a media punch line, and the defendant in Mike’s defamation lawsuit.

Her seemingly perfect life up in flames, Lacey retreats to her family’s lakeside cabin, only to encounter an aggravating neighbor named Monroe. A hunky crime novelist with a low tolerance for drama, Monroe is not thrilled about a newly divorced woman moving in next door. But with time, beer, and a screen door to the nose, a cautious friendship develops into something infinitely more satisfying.

Lacey has to make a decision about her long-term living arrangements, though. Should she take a job writing caustic divorce newsletters for paying clients, or move on with her own life, pursuing more literary aspirations? Can she find happiness with a man who tells her what he thinks and not what she wants to hear? And will she ever be able to resist saying one . . . last . . . thing?
Back to top Go down
https://thelostdiadem.forumotion.com
SandRune94

SandRune94

PostSubject: Re: Book Club!   Book Club! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 10:31 pm

That sounds like a good read, Froggie!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=159000823
Froggie
Admin
Froggie

PostSubject: Re: Book Club!   Book Club! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 11:08 pm

Its' even an audiobook if anyone is too lazy to actually read it >.>

One Last Thing at Audible. But I have my... ways... to help you guys find it for let's say less than that >.> IF YOU WOULD WANT >.> Audible gives you a sample of it though if you want to hear a bit of what it's like. I love audio books :3
Back to top Go down
https://thelostdiadem.forumotion.com
SicklePixie13

SicklePixie13

PostSubject: Re: Book Club!   Book Club! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 5:42 pm

Yes, let's reinstate the book club!! (Sorry, I know I'm a bit late to this discussion.)

I'm so insanely proud to say that I read all the Hunger Games books over spring break!! Got no homework done, but IT WAS SO WORTH IT!!!!

I read Dragon Tattoo last summer, and I will agree that the rape scene was disturbing. Even more so in the movie. So I can understand people not wanting to read that one. It doesn't matter to me what we read next, but I probably won't be able to join in until school's over and I finish all these awful papers.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Book Club!   Book Club! - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Book Club!
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Lost Diadem :: Literature :: Books!-
Jump to: